Tuesday, January 19, 2010

My cat HATES getting her nails clipped. How can I do it without bleeding?

Wearing welder's gloves?





Seriously, it usually involves admitting that you may be lucky to trim only one or two claws per attempt.





You need to find a time when you cat is rather mellow, and then gently massage your cats paw, to express the claws. But don't try clipping off the very sharp tip right then. Get your cat used to having her paw massaged.





I use an inexpensive clipper which is easy to see what I am doing. Several of my younger cats have white paws, and with almost transparent claws, so they seem to be cooperative when I have poor lighting, meaning I can't do it. The type of clipper I use is in the link.





PediPaws might work for dogs, and as you are dulling their nails. But cats have claws, and you need to remove the sharp tip, not just file it down. And the noise of the device would freak your cat out. I know the commercial shows a very cooperative cat, but I wonder where they ever found such a kitty.My cat HATES getting her nails clipped. How can I do it without bleeding?
PediPaws鈩?


PediPaws鈩?is the revolutionary nail trimmer for your dog or cat. It鈥檚 the newest and fastest way to keep your pet鈥檚 nails trim rounded and smooth with no mess! Now you can easily trim your pet鈥檚 nails anywhere without the pain caused by traditional nail clippers. The secret is PediPaws鈩⑩€?precision emery filing wheel that gently removes thin layers of nail to leave your pet鈥檚 paws touchably soft and your home safe from scratches. The unique protective cap allows only the perfect amount of nail to be removed and contains all the filings so there鈥檚 no mess! Start treating your pet like one of the family. You and your pet will love PediPaws鈩?My cat HATES getting her nails clipped. How can I do it without bleeding?
All cats hate nail clipping, most cats are naturally a little skittish about letting a human hold their paws, so you might need to do some training to teach your cat that having its paws constrained doesn't mean it's going to die. Get the cat used to ';nail trimming position';. If you're going to be trimming the cat's nails by yourself, the cat will need to sit on its rear on your lap, facing away from you, while you hold its paw with one hand and clip with the other. you'll see a pink core inside that ends before the tip of the nail. This is a bundle of arteries called the ';quick';, and it's what you want to avoid cutting because it hurts the cat and results in bleeding.Cut the nails with trimmers specifically designed for cats. Hold the cat as described earlier and cut the nails one by one. If the cat has dark nails and you can't see the quick, trim the very tip of the nail--you'll have to trim more often, but it's the only way to avoid cutting the quick.
I use regular human toe nail clippers and I cut back to just before the quick. If your cat has clear or white nails then stop cutting before you get to the pink. I keep a little bit of flour (regular bread flour on hand to stop any bleeding.





You can also try the pedipaw I don't like it I purchased a batter operated dremal and some sanding drums and it works faster and better.
When cutting animal nails they should NEVER bleed!


Let the cats claws grow out some before you cut them again.


Cutting them too short is dangerous and of course the cat hates it.. its painful!


If you are really wanting the cats claws that short, go to a vet and get her declawed. Its not an expensive proceedure and the cat wont tear up furniture or claw people afterwards.


I do want to say do NOT declaw her if she goes outside at all. Its dangerous for a cat to not have claws in a hostile enviornment.





But, main thing is this.. do not cut the kitties claws down so far that they bleed!
I have three little ones who all HATE getting clipped. I wrap them in a towel (the three paws I'm not clipping) then place them so their back is against your stomach (they need to feel like nothing can get them from behind - I know it sounds weird but it's true!)


Then you just have to go for it without fear. I started this method only doing one paw a day and now I can do the front two pretty easily with two of them (my female will still only allow one day at a time).


Another thing is that I gave up trying to use big bulky nail clippers, the woman who taught me told me to try human nail clippers - I thought she was crazy but man was she right! So much easier with small little clippers!
You shouldnt have to clip your kitties toenails. As long as you keep a scratching post or the cardboard scrathing things from Wal-Mart/Petco/Petsmart they are fine. That is what the scratching posts and things are for. The kitties scratch on it and their nails shed themselves. I have never trimmed our kitties nails. You will find them in the cardboard and scratching post. I dont recommend cutting kitties nails.
When I trim my cats nails I always wrap them snug in a bath towel. It protects them from squriming and getting hurt and it protects me from the nails. Just wrap your cat tight in the towel leaving the paw exposed. Talk to your cat and let it know its ok.
How can your cat NOT hate nail clipping when it bleeds ??? that means your cutting too low and OFCOURSE it hurts! Imagine if someone would grab your hand and start cutting YOUR nail OFF, you'll have blood and it will hurt alot! Think about it.
Do it when she is sleeping. I cut my cat's claws with regular nail clippers, I just cut the tips off. My cat is really good though and always holds still. She actually purrs and tries to give me love while I'm doing it. lol
that pedipaw thing its like sandpaper i used it and he got scared because it was loud and i felt like if you filed your nails. He didnt like that. So i took him to the vet
BY THE PEDI PAWS IT WORKS GREAT, I USE IT ON MY RABBIT, CAT AND THREE DOGS AND MY BF USES IT FOR HIS TROPICAL BIRDS. WRAP YOUR CAT IN A TOWEL TO KEEP FROM GETTING SCRATCHED. REAL TIGHT TOO LIKE YOU SWADDLE A BABY.
Have a family or friend with experience show you how to do it without making the kitty bleed. You are cutting too low if kitty is bleeding.
lol do it while she sleeps and u could buy one of those attomatic clippers that r on tv and there pain free!
I take mine to my Vet and it only cost $5.....and believe me, it's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment