Saturday, January 23, 2010

If I put Soft Paws on my kitten or clip it's nails do I even need a scratching post?

By clipping I mean using a pair of clippers and clipping the sharp points.If I put Soft Paws on my kitten or clip it's nails do I even need a scratching post?
Yes, you will still need one. Their nails constantly grow, and it is a very strong natural instinct for them to sharpen their claws.


So, you need some catnip and a nice sturdy post.


I have six cats and aLL six have learned to use the post for sharpening ONLY.


The trick is to find something that they LIKE!


Keep in mind that when they sharpen, they like to fully stretch their bodies, (full body stretch). So the post needs to be long and STURDY. Sprinkle cat nip on it to attract them to it...If I put Soft Paws on my kitten or clip it's nails do I even need a scratching post?
I clip may cats nails and provide a scratching post. This combo works well to prevent furniture scratching. The cat still wants to scratch if its nails are trimmed - I just notice that the use of the scratching post and claws generally increases when its time to clip again.





My cat prefers the posts with the sisal rope. I think these work best.
You will still need a scratching post because scratching is a natural instinct. It is important to find one that they like. My cats love the cheap ones made of cardboard!
When my cat had softpaws on, we still kept her cardboard scratcher because she still loved to do the scratching motions. It's her routine every time she finishes using her litter box for some reason!
By clipping the nails you also need a scratching post or mat. with softpaws normally you don't, but cats love to do teh movemnet of scratching something, so unless your cat is really destroying furniture, I suggest ypu trim the nails every 2-3 weeks and have a scratching post available. If she scratches anywhere else, grab her softly, say NO, and put her on teh scratching post.
It would help as scratching is normal cat behavior. Even declawed cats like to ';scratch'; things. If you train your cat to scratch only things that are allowed such as cat trees then maybe you won't have to bother with the nail caps at all.
Yes! I have one cat that is declawed in front and the other has all his claws, but they both use the stratching posts. Cats have glands in the paws and it is a way of marking their territory - so short claws, covered claws or none at all, they will continue to scratch. Be sure to get one that is tall enough for your cat if s/he likes to stretch to scratch. Our male cat scrates the bottom of the pole and the base where as our female stretches up to the top of the pole.
They like to scratch even if their claws are removed!

No comments:

Post a Comment