Tuesday, January 19, 2010

If You Bite Your Nails And Swallow It, Can They Grow Inside You?

I was just thinking about this the other day when I had memories of when I was younger...





When I was little I was a nail-biter and my grandmother used to say ';Don't bite your nails. If you swallow them they'll grow inside you.';





I also vaguely remember my father saying ';nonsense'; and then his mom got mad at him...lol





Is there any truth to this at all. Do nails grow inside people if swallowed?If You Bite Your Nails And Swallow It, Can They Grow Inside You?
Although the nail is alive, the growing part s back by the cuticle. Just like getting your hair cut, nails, will not start growing again from the scraps.If You Bite Your Nails And Swallow It, Can They Grow Inside You?
Melissa,





First, your digestive system should be able to handle the material in nails, and break it down to its nutrients. Second, how do nails grow? Do they grow at the tip, or do cells at the base of the fingernails actually produce this **non-living** material? What would you swallow if you ate the tip of the fingernails? The nail and the cells that produce the growth, or just the nail? That should answer the question you posed.
No.





If you swallow a seed, will that grow? Nope. *thinks back to Rugrats episode*

No comments:

Post a Comment